Friday 01 March, 2019
Locations: Edinburgh - Scotland
We are a national company made up of three divisions: Marquee and Structure Hire; Christmas Lights and City Dressing; and Event Overlay, with bases in Edinburgh, Bristol, London and Manchester.
We have evolved significantly over the last 30+ years. Many of our current staff have been here from the early days, including our Founder and Chief Executive as well as several of our drivers, warehouse men and foremen. Even one of our current directors has over 25 years’ service with the company.
Geography is as important as history to us. The business started in Edinburgh and has expanded to its current size of 4 fully operational branches in London, Manchester, Bristol and Edinburgh. We are able to provide truly national coverage for each of our services, whether it be marquee and structure hire, festive lighting or overlay services.
The Role – Summary
This is a senior management position within the Edinburgh branch where the successful candidate will be expected to take full responsibility for the branch’s Operations Department. Responsibilities will include warehouse and hire-stock management, contract and manpower planning, logistics, budget preparation and control, health & safety, staff progression and management. Of paramount importance is the ability to provide clear and energetic leadership and direction to the Operations team. This role reports directly to the Branch Manager.
The Role - Detail
The Operations Manager is the figurehead of the Operations Department and must therefore lead by example by projecting a professional and mature image both internally and externally. An ability to create a team atmosphere through communication with and involvement of all team members will be essential to success. Motivation of individual team members will be vital along with a commitment to staff development and training. The Operations Manager is responsible for maintaining discipline amongst the operations staff and if necessary instigating the company’s disciplinary procedures should the need arise. The number of staff within the Operations Department will vary throughout the year, peaking at around 45 during the height of our summer season.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for the safe and satisfactory management of service delivery to our customers. Efficiency of operational performance is key with the interface between the Operations Manager and the sales/project management team being critical to the branch’s overall success. An ability to plan in absolute detail is vital, as is the ability to instill and maintain a disciplined approach with all staff. A quest for continuous improvement is at the core of the branch’s culture and the Operations Manager will be expected to work closely with the Branch Manager to deliver continuous and sustainable improvements to the branch’s service level delivery and overall financial performance.
Health & Safety
This is a priority area for the Operations Manager and represents a core feature of the role. Numerous teams on numerous sites, including potentially large numbers of temporary staff demand that this important aspect must constantly be a major consideration for the Operations Manager. Rigorous discipline and up to date Health & Safety training must be continuously implemented to ensure the safety of all is paramount at all times. A commitment to best practice in this area is essential.
The Operations Manager will have responsibility for the branch’s Operations budget and will be expected to operate within the agreed budget.
In particular, the following tasks are crucial:
- Proper control and authorization of expenditure
- Participation in the preparation of the branch’s budgets and quarterly forecasts
- Adherence to monthly management accounts timetables with accurate process inputs
- Acting promptly to redress budget variances
- Detailed justification for fixed asset investment and capital expenditure
- The ideal candidate will be an ambitious, proactive and enthusiastic individual with an established track record of achieving measurable success. They will be able to demonstrate a flair for driving a department forward both in terms of growth and people development over a sustained period of time.
- They will be intelligent, diligent, articulate, resilient and be someone who can manage detailed operational planning, especially when under pressure.
- They must be numerate, computer literate and able to demonstrate clear leadership qualities, with the ability to motivate and get the best out of people.
- Excellent all round communication skills are essential this role will be best suited to someone who will enjoy working as part of an ambitious and demanding branch management team.
- Previous demonstrable experience of process improvement and continuous improvement initiatives is desirable
- Circ. 40k Salary with bonus package
- Mobile phone allowance